Knowing the language of print is important to correctly and efficiently communicate the expectations and needs of your projects.



Additive Color
color produced by light falling onto a surface, as compared to subtractive color. The additive primary colors are red, green and blue (RGB).
Anti-offset Powder
Fine powder lightly sprayed over the printed surface of coated paper as sheets leave a press. Also called dust, offset powder, powder and spray powder.
Aqueous Coating
Coating in a water base and applied like ink by a printing press to protect and enhance the printing underneath.
All original copy, including type, photos and illustrations, intended for printing. Also called Customer Originals.
Author's Alterations (AA's)
At the proofing stage, changes that the client requests to be made concerning original art provided. AA's are considered an additional cost to the client usually.


Back Up
(1) To print on the second side of a sheet already printed on one side. (2) To adjust an image on one side of a sheet so that it aligns back-to-back with an image on the other side.
Usually a department within a printing company responsible for collating, folding and trimming various printing projects.
Rubber-coated pad, mounted on a cylinder of an offset press, that receives the inked image from the plate and transfers it to the surface to be printed.
Printing that extends to the edge of a sheet or page after trimming.
Bond paper
Category of paper commonly used for writing, printing and photocopying. Also called business paper, communication paper, correspondence paper and writing paper.
Book Paper
Category of paper suitable for books, magazines, catalogs, advertising and general printing needs. Book paper is divided into uncoated paper (also called offset paper), coated paper (also called art paper, enamel paper, gloss paper and slick paper) and text paper.
Butt Register
Register where ink colors meet precisely without overlapping or allowing space between, as compared to lap register. Also called butt fit and kiss register.


C1S and C2S
Abbreviations for coated one side and coated two sides.
(1) Thickness of paper or other substrate expressed in thousandths of an inch (mils or points), pages per inch (ppi), thousandths of a millimeter (microns) or pages per centimeter (ppc). (2) Device on a sheetfed press that detects double sheets or on a binding machine that detects missing signatures or inserts.
Technique of slightly reducing the size of an image to create a hairline trap or to outline. Also called shrink and skinny.
Abbreviation for cyan, magenta, yellow and key (black), the four process colors.
Color Gamut
The entire range of hues possible to reproduce using a specific device, such as a computer screen, or system, such as four-color process printing.
Color Model
Way of categorizing and describing the infinite array of colors found in nature.
Color Separation
(1) Technique of using a camera, scanner or computer to divide continuous-tone color images into four halftone negatives. (2) The product resulting from color separating and subsequent four-color process printing. Also called separation.
Comprehensive Dummy
Simulation of a printed piece complete with type, graphics and colors. Also called color comprehensive and comp.
All photographs and those illustrations having a range of shades not made up of dots, as compared to line copy or halftones. Abbreviated contone.
The degree of tones in an image ranging from highlight to shadow.
Business that makes products such as boxes, bags, envelopes and displays.
Extent to which ink covers the surface of a substrate. Ink coverage is usually expressed as light, medium or heavy.
Phenomenon of middle pages of a folded signature extending slightly beyond outside pages. Also called feathering, outpush, push out and thrust. See also Shingling.
Crop Marks
Lines near the edges of an image indicating portions to be reproduced. Also called cut marks and tic marks.
Type or art that continues from one page of a book or magazine across the gutter to the opposite page. Also called bridge, gutter bleed and gutter jump.
To dry inks, varnishes or other coatings after printing to ensure good adhesion and prevent setoff.
Customer Service Representative
Employee of a printer, service bureau, separator or other business who coordinates projects and keeps customers informed. Abbreviated CSR.
Circumference of the impression cylinder of a web press, therefore also the length of the printed sheet that the press cuts from the roll of paper.
Cut Sizes
Paper sizes used with office machines and small presses.
Cutting Die
Usually a custom ordered item to trim specific and unusual sized printing projects.
Abbreviation for hundredweight using the Roman numeral c="100."
One of the four process colors. Also known as process blue.


Deckle Edge
The rough or feathered edge of paper when left untrimmed.
An instruction given to remove an element from a layout.
The degree of tone, weight of darkness or color within a photo or reproduction; measurable by the densitometer.
A term that describes that portion of lower case letters which extends below the main body of the letter, as in "p".
A light sensitive coal tar product used as a coating on presensitized plates, as well as overlay proofs.
Design, letters or shapes, cut into metal (mostly brass) for stamping book covers or embossing. An engraved stamp used for impressing an image or design.
Die Cutting
A method of using sharp steel ruled stamps or rollers to cut various shapes i.e. labels, boxes, image shapes, either post press or in line. The process of cutting paper in a shape or design by the use of a wooden die or block in which are positioned steel rules in the shape of the desired pattern.
Die Stamping
An intaglio process for printing from images engraved into copper or steel plates.
Digital Proof
Color separation data is digitally stored and then exposed to color photographic paper creating a picture of the final product before it is actually printed.
Display Type
Any type that stands out from the rest of the type on a page which attracts attention of the reader.
Distribution Rollers
In the printing process, the rubber coated rollers responsible for the distribution of ink from the fountain to the ink drum.
Dog Ear
Occurs when you fold into a fold (such as a letter fold). At the side of one of the creases you get an indentation. It may look like a small inverted triangle.
The smallest individual element of a halftone.
Dot Gain
Darkening of halftone image due to ink absorption in paper causing halftone dots to enlarge. Terms to describe the occurrence whereby dots are printing larger than they should.
A method used by ink makers to determine the color, quality and tone of ink. It entails the drawing of a spatula over a drop of ink, spreading it flat over the paper.
A term that describes any additives to ink which encourages the drying process.
The actual drilling of holes into paper for ring or comb binding.
Drop Folio
Page number printed at foot of page.
Drop Shadow
A shadow image placed strategically behind an image to create the affect of the image lifting off the page.
Dull Finish
Any matte finished paper.
A term used to describe the preliminary assemblage of copy and art elements to be reproduced in the desired finished product; also called a comp.
Dummy Model
Resembling finished piece in every respect except that the pages and cover are blank, used by the designer as a final check on the appearance and "feel" of the book as a guide for the size and position of elements on the jacket.
Color reproduction from monochrome original. Keyplate usually printed in dark color for detail, second plate printed in light flat tints. A two-color halftone reproduction generated from a one-color photo.
Duplex Paper
Paper which has a different color or finish on each side.


Eggshell Finish
The finish of paper surface that resembles an eggshell achieved by omitting the calendar process. Reference, calendar rolls.
Electronic Composition
The assembly of characters into words, lines and paragraphs of text or body matter with graphic elements in page layout form in digital format for reproduction by printing.
Electronic Proof
A process of generating a prepress proof in which paper is electronically exposed to the color separation negatives; the paper is passed through the electrically charged pigmented toners, which adhere electrostatically, resulting in the finished proof.
Elliptical Dot
Halftone screens in which the dots are actually elongated to produce improved middle tones.
A unit of measurement equaling 12 points or 4.5mm.
A method of paper finishing whereby a pattern is pressed into paper when it is dry.
To raise in relief a design or letters already printed on card stock or heavy paper by an uninked block or die. In rubber and plastic plate making the process is usually done by heat.
A light sensitive substance used as a coating for film; made from a silver halide compound. This side should face the lens when the film is exposed.
A term that describes a glossy coating on paper.
Attaching the final sheet of a signature of a book to the binding.
English Finish
A grade of uncoated book paper with a smooth uniform surface.
A printing process whereby images such as copy or art are etched onto a plate. When ink is applied, these etched areas act as small wells to hold the ink; paper is forced against this die and the ink is lifted out of the etched areas creating raised images on the paper.
The form used by the printer to calculate the project for the print buyer. This form contains the basic parameters of the project including size, quantity, colors, bleeds, photos etc.
One who computes or approximates the cost of work to be done on which quotation may be based.
The process of producing an image on a plate by the use of acid.
Even Smalls
The use of smaller sized capitals at the beginning of a sentence without the use of larger sized caps.
Expanded Type
Type with width greater than normal producing a rectangular effect.
That stage of the photographic process where the image is produced on the light sensitive coating.
A white pigment added to a colored pigment to reduce its intensity and improve its working qualities.


A term in the binding process referring to folding and gathering.
Fan Fold
Paper folding that emulates an accordion or fan, the folds being alternating and parallel.
Fat Face
Type that is quite varied in its use of very thin and very wide strokes.
A cloth conveyor belt that receives papers from the fourdrinier wire and delivers it to the drier.
Felt Finish
The smoother side of paper, usually a soft weave pattern used for book papers.
Felt Side
It is the top side of the sheet in the paper making process that does not lie on the fourdrinier wire.
Filling In
A fault in printing where the ink fills in the fine line or halftone dot areas.
Film Coat
Also called wash coat; any thinly coated paper stock.
The surface quality of paper.
Finish (Paper)
Dull - (low gloss) also matte or matte gloss.
A symbol used in printing to indicate the index; seen as a pointing finger on a hand "+".
The registration of items within a given page.
Flash Point
A term given to the lowest temperature of ignitibility of vapors given off by a substance.
In lithography, the assembly of photographic negatives or positives on vinyl acetate for exposure in vacuum frame in contact with sensitized metal press plate.
Flock Paper
Paper that is patterned by sizing, and than coated with powders of wool or cotton, (flock).
Fluid Ink
Also called liquid ink; ink with a low viscosity.
Flush Cover
A bound book or booklet etc. having the cover trimmed to the same size as the text.
Flushed Pigment
The results of combining a wet ink pigment with a varnish and having the wet pigment mix or transfer over to the varnish.
Fogging Back
Lowering density of an image in a specific area usually to make type more legible while still letting image show through.
Papers that have a surface resembling metal.
Fold Marks
Markings at top edges that show where folds should occur.
Machine used to fold signatures down into sections.
Folio or Page Number
Number of page at top or bottom either centered, flushed left or flushed right often with running headline.
The characters which make up a complete typeface and size.
Form Rollers
The rollers that come into direct contact with the plate of a printing press.
(old) type matter or type and block with its accompanying spacing material secures in the forme called a chase.
In Binding, the process between folding sheets and casing in, such as rounding and backing, putting on headbands, reinforcing backs, etc.
A machine with a copper wire screen that receives the pulp slurry in the paper making process which will become the final paper sheet.
Free Sheet
Any paper that is free from wood pulp impurities.
French Fold(er)
Folder with printing on one side so that when folded once in each direction, the printing on outside of the folds.
A halo that appears around halftone dots.
Fugitive Inks
Colors that lose tone and permanency when exposed to light.
The slurry mixture of fibers, water, chemicals and pigments, that is delivered to the fourdrinier machine in the paper making process.
A term for the fibers that project from the paper surface.


(old) flat oblong tray into which composed type matter is put and kept until made up into pages in the forme. Also a similar tray on a slug composing machine which receives the slugs as they are ejected. Also a long column of composed text matter.
Galley Proof
A proof of text copy before it is pasted into position for printing.
Galley Slave
Old term for compositor.
Group of frames or impositions in the same forme of different jobs arranged and positioned to be printed together.
The bundling of two or more different printing projects on the same sheet of paper.
To assemble or collect sections into single copies of complete books for binding.
Assembling sheets of paper and signatures into their proper sequence; collating.
Image which appears as a lighter area on a subsequent print due to local blanket depressions from previous image areas on a letterpress rotary machine as well as on an offset press.
Marring a print by the placement of an image of work printed on the reverse side which has interfered with its drying so that differences in the trapping frame colors or glass variations are apparent.
Garbage in, garbage out.
Sticking on gold leaf to edges of books with a liquid agent and made permanent with burnishing tools.
A strong transparent paper.
Gloss Ink
Quick drying oil based inks with low penetration qualities, used on coated stock.
A carved as opposed to scripted typeface.
An orange colored paper with grid lines, used to assemble materials for exposure for platemaking.
Graduated Screen
An area of image where halftone dots range continuously from one density to another.
Direction of fibers in a sheet of paper governing paper properties such as increased size changes with relative humidity, across the grain, and better folding properties along the grain.
Grained Paper
A paper embossed to resemble various textures, such as leather, alligator, wood, etc.
An intaglio or recessed printing process. The recessed areas are like wells that form the image as paper passes through.
A series of metal fingers that hold each sheet of paper as it passes through the various stages of the printing process.
Gripper Edge
The grippers of the printing press move the paper through the press by holding onto the leading edge of the sheet; this edge is the gripper edge.
Low cost papers such as newsprint made by the mechanical pulping process as opposed to chemical pulping and refining.
The application of gum arabic to the non printing areas of a plate.
Space between pages in the printing frame of a book, or inside margin towards the back or binding edge. The blank space or margin between the type page and the binding of a book.


Hairline Register
Printing registration that lies within the range of plus or minus one half row of dots. It is the standard printers' rules.
Tone graduated image composed of varying sized dots or lines, with equidistant centers.
Halftone Paper
A high finish paper that is ideal for halftone printing.
Halftone Screen
A sheet of film or glass containing ruled right-angled lines, used to translate the full tone of a photo to the halftone dot image required for printing.
Hard Dot
The effect in a photograph where a dot has such a small degree of halation that the dot shows quite sharp.
Head Margin
That space which lies between the top of the printed copy and the trimmed edge.
Imperfections in presswork due to dirt on press, trapping errors, etc.
High Bulk Paper
Paper stock that is comparatively thick in relation to its basis weight.
High Key Halftone
A halftone that is made utilizing only the highlight tones down through the middle tones.
Highlight Dot
The highest density of a halftone image.
The lightest tones of a photo, printed halftone or illustration. In the finished halftone, these highlights are represented by the finest dots.
That space on the spine of a case bound book between the block of the book and the case binding.
Hot Melt
An adhesive used in the binding process, which requires heat for application.
House Sheet
This is a term that refers to a paper that a printer keeps on hand in his shop.


Inside back cover.
Inside front cover.
Image Area
That portion of the printing plate that carries the ink and prints on paper.
Image Setter
High resolution, large format device for producing film from electronically generated page layouts.
Arrangment of pages so that they print correctly on a press sheet, and the pages are in proper order when the sheets are folded.
Product resulting from one cycle of printing machine. The pressure of the image carrier, whether it be the type, plate or blanket, when it contacts the paper.
Index Bristol
A relatively thick paper stock; basis size---25 1/2 x 30 1/2.
Markings pre-printed on mailing envelopes to replace the stamp.
Industrial Papers
A term used to denote papers such as janitorial, sanitary or heavy packing papers.
Ink Fountian
The devise which stores and meters ink to the inking rollers.
Ink Holdout
A quality of paper to be resistant to ink absorption, allowing the ink to dry on the paper surface.
Ink Mist
Any threads or filaments which protrude from the main printed letter body of long inks, as seen in newsprint.
Ink Setting
The inertial resistance to flow that occurs to ink as soon as it is printed.
A device used to measure the tack of ink.
Extra printed pages inserted loosely into printed pieces.
Integral Proof
A proof made by exposing each of the four-color separations to an emulsion layer of primary colors. These emulsion sheets are stacked in register with a white sheet of paper in the background. Types of integral proofs are cromalin, matchprint, ektaflex, and spactraproof.
Extra blank pages inserted loosely into book after printing.
Iridescent Paper
A coated stock finished in mother-of-pearl.
Text that is used to denote emphasis by slanting the type body foward.


The paper cover sometimes called the "dust cover" of a hardbound book.
Job Number
A number assigned to a printing project used for record keeping and job tracking. Also used to retrieve old jobs for reprints or reworking by customer.
Vibrating, sloping platform that evens up the edges of stacks of paper.


The narrowing of space between two letters so that they become closer and take up less space on the page.
Key Plate
The printing plate that is used as a guide for the other plates in the color printing process; it usually has the most detail.
The use of symbols, usually letters, to code copy that will appear on a dummy.
Lines that are drawn on artwork that indicate the exact placement, shape and size of elements including halftones, illustrations etc.
Kiss Impression
A delicate printed impression, just heavy enough to be seen.
A coarse unbleached paper used for printing and industrial products.


A clear gloss coating applied to printed material for strength, appearance and protection.
Laid Finish
A parallel lined paper that has a handmade look.
Laser Engraving
A paper cutting technique whereby laser technology is utilized to cut away certain unmasked areas of the paper. The cutting is a result of the exposure of the paper to the laser ray, which actually evaporates the paper.
Lay Edge
Edge of a sheet of paper being fed into a printing press.
A rendition that shows the placement of all the elements, roughs, thumbnails etc., of the final printed piece before it goes to print.
The dots or dashes used in type to guide the eye from one set of type to the next.
Space between lines of type; the distance in points between one baseline and the next.
One of a number of folds (each containing two pages) which comprises a book or manuscript.
Leaf Stamping
A metal die, either (flat, or embossed), created from the image or copy, which is then heated to a specific temperature which allows the tranfer of a film of pigmented polyester to the paper.
Ledger Paper
A stiff heavy business paper generally used for keeping records.
The optimum length of a filament of ink.
Printing that utilizes inked raised surfaces to create the image.
The addition of space between typeset letters.
Line Copy
Any copy that can be reproduced without the use of halftone screens.
A paper that emulates the look and texture of linen cloth.
Lithocoated Paper
A paper that is coated with a special water-resistant material which is able to withstand the lithographic process.
The process of printing that utilizes flat inked surfaces to create the printed images.
A personalized type or design symbol for a company or product.


M Weight
The actual weight of 1000 sheets of any given size of paper.
Machine Coated
Paper that has had a coating applied to either one or two of its sides during the papermaking process.
Machine Direction
An alternate term for grain direction.
Machine Finish
A paper finish that results from the interaction of the paper with the Fourdrinier process as opposed to post machine embossing. Reference, Fourdrinier.
Magnetic Black
Black pigments containing black iron oxides, used for magnetic ink character recognition.
Make Ready
Process of adjusting final plate on the press to fine tune or modify plate surface.
Imprinted space around edge of page.
To write up instructions, as on a dummy.
Mask (1)
The blocking out of a portion of the printing plate during the exposure process.
Mask (2)
A photo negative or positive used in the color separation process to color correct. Reference, PRINTING, mask.
Match Print
Photographic proof made from all color flats and form composite proof showing color quality as well as accuracy, layout, and imposition before plates are made.
Matte Finish
A coate paper finish that goes through minimal calendaring. Reference, calendaring.
The width of type as measured in picas. Reference, picas.
A term used to describe finished artwork that is camera ready for reproduction, including all type, photos, illustrations etc.
Metropolitan Service Area
A group of ZIP codes usually in close proximity defining a large metropolitan area (e.g. New York City or Los Angeles).
Midtone Dot
Commonly taken as the area between highlights and shadow area of a subject's face in halftone image.
An undesirable halftone pattern produced by the incorrect angles of overprinting halftone screens.
A cotton fabric used on the dampening rollers of a printing press.
Molybdate Orange
An ink pigment made from precipitating lead molybdate, lead sulfate and lead chromate.
A term used to describe spotty or uneven ink absorption.
Coarse muslin glue placed on the back of book or pads for strengthening.
Mullen Testing
A specific test of tensile paper strength; an important factor if web presses are used for printing.


A term to describe papers that have a color similar to that of wood; also called cream, off-white or ivory.
AnFilm that contains the same images as the original print, except that all colors and shades are reversed. Reference, positive.
A light, low cost groundwood paper made especially for newspapers. Reference, groundwood.
Nominal Weight
When the basis weight of paper differs from the actual weight, the term nominal weight is used.


OA of Register
When two sheet passes on a press are misaligned.
Outside back cover
A term used to describe printed books, catalogs etc., that are bound on their shorter side; also referred to as album bound.
Outside front cover.
Off-shore Paper
Any papers made outside the US and Canada.
The most commonly used printing method, whereby the printed material does not receive the ink directly from the printing plate but from an intermediary cylinder called a blanket which receives the ink from the plate and transfers it to the paper.
Offset Gravure
A complex offset process involving multiple transfers between the gravure plate, the plate cylinder and a solid rubber plate.
Offset Lithographing
Indirect printing method in which the inked image on the press-plate is first printed onto a rubber blanket, then in turn offsets the inked impression on to the sheet of paper.
Offset Paper
A term for uncoated book paper.
A light bond paper used for typing and used with carbon paper because of its thinness.
Quality of papers that defines its opaqueness or ability to prevent two-sided printing from showing through.
A quality of paper that allows relatively little light to pass through.
Opaque Ink
Ink that completely covers any ink under itself.
Any light sensitive surfaces that are not sensitive to red.
Over Run
Surplus of copies printed.
Overhang Cover
A cover of a book that extends over the trimmed signatures it contains.
A transparent sheet placed over artwork, in register with the work it covers; this is used to call out other color components of the work, instructions or corrections.
Overlay Proof
A process of proof making whereby the color separations are individually exposed to light sensitive film. This film is then set in registration with a piece of white paper in the background.
Any printing that is done on an area that has already been printed.
Type that is set in excess of the allotted space.


One side of a leaf.
Page Makeup
The assemblage of all the necessary elements required to complete a page.
Page Proofs
Proofs made up from pages.
Films or other photographic materials that are sensitive to all colors.
Any paper with a thickness (caliper) of 12 points (.3mm) or more.
A high-grade soft paper used for personal stationery because it accepts handwriting well.
A hard finished paper that emulates animal skin; used for documents, such as awards, that require writing by hand.
Parent Sheet
A sheet that is larger than the cut stock of the same paper.
Paste Drier
Any of a variety of compounds used in enhancing the drying properties of printing inks.
Paste Ink
An ink having a high level of viscosity.
Preparation of positive materials into a layout for photographing to film negatives.
Perf Marks
Markings usually dotted lines at edges showing where perforations should occur.
A term used to describe the binding process where the signatures of a book are held together by a flexible adhesive.
Perfect Binding
Binding process where backs of sections are cut off, roughened and glued together, and rung in a cover.
Printing both sides of the paper (or other material) on the same pass through the printing machine.
Perfecting Press
A printing press that prints on both sides of the page in a single pass.
Punching small holes or slits in a sheet of paper or cardboard to facilitate tearing along a desired line.
A blue red pigment used mostly in news inks; not a good ink for lithographers as it bleeds in alchohol and water.
Making printing plates by exposure of line and halftone negatives on sensitized metal, converting the image into an acid resist, and etching the print to the relief required for letterpress printing.
The platemaking process where plates are coated with photosensitive coatings and exposed to photo negatives or positives.
A photographic print creating an image using photography and electrostatic process; also called a stat.
The main pigment in the manufacture of cyan ink.
Standard of measurement, 1/6 inch. 1 pica = 12 points 72 points = 1 inch.
Picking (1)
When the tack of ink is stronger than the surface strength of the paper, some lifting of the paper surface occurs; this is referred to as picking.
Picking (2)
An occurrence in printing whereby the tack of ink pulls fibers or coating off the paper surface, leaving spots on the printed surface.
A build up of pigment or paper coatings onto the plate, blankets or rollers.
Pin Register
Using metal pins fitted into present holes of copy sheets, films, plates and presses that will assure the proper registration.
Failure of printed ink to form a completely continuous film, visible in the form of small holes in the printed areas.
Plastic Comb
A method of binding books whereby holes are drilled on the side closet the spine, and a plastic grasping devise is inserted to hold the pages together.
An ink additive that adds flexibility, softness and adhesion.
Reproduction of type or cuts in metal, plastic, rubber, or other material, to form a plate bearing a relief, planographic or intaglio printing surface.
Plate Cylinder
The cylinder on a printing press on which the plate is mounted.
Plate Finish
Any bond, cover or bristol stock with an extremely smooth finish achieved by calendaring.
Making a printing plate from a film or flat including preparation of the plate surface, sensitizing, exposing through the flat, developing or processing, and finishing.
Photomechanical transfer.
A measurement unit equal to 1/72 of an inch. 12 points to a pica, 72 points to an inch.
Film that contains an image with the same tonal values as the original; opposite of a negative.
Pixels per inch
Any paper that is considered better than #1 by its manufacturer.
Presensitized Plate
A plate that has been treated with light sensitive coatings by the manufacturer.
Actual press sheet to show image, tone values and colors as well as imposition of frame or press-plate.
Primary Colors
In printing the four primary colors are cyan (blue), magenta (red), yellow and black.
The quality of papers to show reproduced printed images.
Printers Pairs
Two consecutive pages as they appear on a flat or signature.
Process Inks
Printing inks, usually in sets of four colors. The most frequent combination is yellow, magenta, cyan, and black, which are printed, one over another in that order, to obtain a colored print with the disired hues, whites, blacks, and grays.
Process Lens
A high quality specialty lens made for line art, halftone and color photography.
Process Printing
Printing from two or more half tones to produce intermediate colors and shades.
Progressive Proofs
Any proofs made from the separate plates of a multi-plate-printing project.
Impression from composed type or blocks, taken for checking and correction, from a lithographic plate to check accuracy of layout, type matter, tone and color reproduction.
Pull For Position
Guide sheet for the positioning of type, blocks, etc.


No Terms Available


Rag Paper
Papers with a complete or partial content of cotton fibers.
Ragged Left
The term given to right-justified type that is uneven on the left.
Ragged Right
The term given to left-justified type that is uneven on the right.
Railroad Board
A thick, coated paper used for signs; usually waterproof.
Readers Pairs
Two consecutive pages as they appear in printed piece.
500 sheets of paper.
The odd numbered pages (right hand side) of books.
Red Lake "C"
A common pigment for paste and liquid red inks.
Any substance that softens and reduces the tack of ink.
The master roll of paper as it comes off the papermaking machine. It is in its original width and is then cut into smaller rolls.
The arrangement of two or more images in exact alignment with each other.
Register Marks
Any croosmarks or other symbols used on layout to assure proper registration.
Right Angle Fold
A term that denotes folds that are 90 degrees to each other.
Roll To Roll
A web press printing process where the roll of paper is printed and stored on a roll to be shipped.
Rub Proof
That stage of printed ink where the maximum dryness is achieved, and the ink will not smudge.
A pigment somewhat redder than true magenta.
A term given to copy that accommodates the lines of a picture or other image or copy.
A term used to describe how well a paper runs on a printing press.
Running Head
A title at the top of a page that appears on all pages of a book or chapter of a book.


Saddle Stitching
Stitching where the wire staples pass through the spine from the outside and are clinched in the center. Only used with folded sections, either single sections or two or more sections inset to form a single section.
Safety Paper
A paper that shows sign of erasure so that it cannot be altered or tampered with easily.
Satin Finish
A smooth delicately embossed finish paper with sheen.
The enlargement or reduction of an image or copy to fit a specific area.
Impressions or cuts in flat material to facilitate bending or tearing.
Screen Angles
The placement of haltone screens to avoid unwanted moire patterns. Frequently used angles are black 45deg, magenta 75deg, yellow 90deg, and cyan 105deg.
Screen Ruling
A measurement equaling the number of lines or dots per inch on a halftone screen.
Screened Print
A photo print made by using a halftone negative; also called a velox.
Unwanted ink marks in the non-image area.
Self Cover
A cover made out of the same paper stock as the internal sheets.
Shadow Dot
The lowest density of a halftone image.
To decrease the dot size of the halftone which in turn decreases the color strength.
The printing of two different images on two different sides of a sheet of paper by turning the page over after the first side is printed and using the same gripper and side guides.
Short Ink
Ink that is smooth and creamy but does not flow freely.
Show Through
A problem that occurs when the printing on one side of a sheet is seen from the other side.
Side Guide
The guides on the sides of the sheet fed press that position the sheet sideways as the paper is led towards the front guides.
Side Stitching
Stitching where the wire staples pass through the pile of sections or leaves gathered upon each other and are clinched on the undersides.
Signature (Section)
Printed sheet (or its flat) that consists of a number of pages of a book, placed so that they will fold and bind together as a section of a book. The printed sheet after folding.
Silhouette Halftone
A halftone with the background screen removed.
Reference, browline proof.
A term to describe the process of cutting of printed sheets by the cutting wheels of a printing press.
That quality of paper defined by its levelness which allows for pressure consistency in printing, assuring uniformity of print.
Soft Dot
An excessively large halo around a dot in a photograph that causes a fringe that diminishes the dot intensity.
Back edge of book.
Spiral Bind
A binding whereby a wire or plastic is spiraled through holes punched along the binding side.
Spot Color
Small area printed in a second color.
A film image that is larger than the original image to accommodate ink trapping. Reference, trapping.
To bind a series of pages with wire staples such that staples enter from the front and back simultaneously, neither side being long enough to exit the opposite side.
The quality of paper to maintain its original size when it undergoes pressure and moisture changes.
Stagger Cutting
A process of cutting many sheets from the same parent sheet in which the smaller sheets have different grain directions; also called dutch or bastard cutting.
Star Target
The Graphic Arts Technical Foundation, GATF has established various quality control images; the star target appears along with the color bar and helps the pressman detect any irregularity in the ink spread. Reference, Color Bars.
Static Neutralizer
A divice on a printing press that minimizes the amount of static build up on paper as it passes through the press.
Step and Repeat
A process of generating multiple exposures by taking an image and stepping it according to a predetermined layout.
A proofreader's symbol that is usually written in the copy margin, that indicates that the copy, which was marked for correction, should be left as it was.
A term for unprinted paper or other material to be printed.
To add an element, such as copy that is shot separately, and then stripped into place on a goldenrod flat.
Originally, the removal of the photographic emulsion with its image from individual negatives and combining them in position on a glass plate. Now the use of stripfilm materials, and the cutting, attachment, and other operations for assembling. The positioning of positives and negatives on the flat before proceeding to platemaking.
Stumping or Blocking
Impressing book covers, ect., by means of hot die, brass types or blocks.
Super Calendaring
A machine procedure that produces a high finished paper surface that is extremely smooth and exceptional for printing.
Synthetic Papers
Any petroleum based waterproof papers with a high tensile strength.


The adhesive quality of inks.
A dense, strong paper stock.
Tensile Stregth
A paper's ability to withstand pressure.
A high quality printing paper.
A printing process whereby slow drying ink is applied to paper and while the ink is still wet, it is lightly dusted with a resinous powder. The paper then passes through a heat chamber where the powder melts and fuses with the ink to produce a raised surface.
Through Drier
A slower drier that dries the ink throughout without forming a hard crust.
Ticket Envelope
Envelopes used mostly for theater tickets, with no other particular usage.
A halftone screen that contains all the same sized dots.
Titanium Oxide
A bright white pigment (opaque) used for printing on metal and flexible packing.
Toluidine Red
A red pigment with poor bleed resistance.
The rough surface finish of papers such as vellum or antique.
Inks that do not block out the colored inks that they print over, but instead blend with them to create intermediate colors.
The process of printing wet ink over printed ink which may be wet or dry.
Trim Marks
Marks placed on the sheet to indicate where to cut the page.
Twin Wire Machine
Fourdrinier papermaking machines with two wires, instead of wire and felt side. This assures higher quality when two sides are used for printing.
The difference in feel and appearance of either side of a sheet of paper due to the papermaking process having a felt and wire side.


Papers that are not smoothed by going through the calendaring process.
A term used to describe how many similar sheets can be produced on a larger sheet; two up, four up, etc.
A term given to books bound on the longer dimension.


Vacuum Frame
Also called a contact frame; used in the platemaking process to hold materials in tight contact during exposure.
Brown print.
A clear shiny ink used to add gloss to printed pieces. The primary component of the ink vehicle. Reference, vehicle.
A combination of varnish, waxes, dryers etc., that contain the pigment of inks and control the flow, the drying and the adhesion of the pigments to the printed surface.
A finish of paper that is rough, bulky and has a degree of tooth.
Velour Paper
A term given to papers that are coated with an adhesive and then flock dusted.
A photographic print which is made from a negative.
A term given to the left-hand or even-numbered pages of a book.
Fade to white or small decorative design or illustration. A photo or illustration etc., in which the tones fade gradually away until they blend with the surface they are printed on.


An abbreviation for work and back. Reference, sheetwise.
An abbreviation for work and turn.
A term given to the occurrence of plate deterioration of the image area during the printing process; usually occurs on long runs.
The procedure of cleaning a particular ink from all of the printing elements (rollers, plate, ink fountain etc.) of a press.
A translucent logo that is embossed during the papermaking process while the paper slurry is on the dandy roll.
The roll of paper that is used in web or rotary printing.
Web Break
A tear in a web roll during the printing process.
Web Press
Cylinder printing machine in which the paper is fed from a continuous reel, as opposed to sheet fed.
Web Tension
The term given to the tension or pull exerted by the web press on the web roll.
Wedding Paper
A soft paper that is thick and holds up well under embossing.
Wet Trapping
The ability of an ink film to accept subsequent ink films.
A single word or two left at the end of a paragraph, or a part of a sentence ending a paragraph, which loops over to the next page and stands alone. Also, the last sentence of a paragraph which contains only one or two short words.
Wipe On Plate
A plate on which is wiped a light sensitive coating by a coating device; usually the first step in this type of platemaking.
Wire Side
That side of the paper which lies on the wire screen side of the papermaking machine.
Wire Stitching Or Stapling
To fasten together sheets, signatures, or sections with wire staples. 3 methods... saddle stitching, side stitching, and stabbing.
A smooth paper made on finely textured wire that gives the paper a gentle patterned finish.
The unevenly dried surface of printed inks.
Writing Paper
Another name for bond paper.


Xerographic Paper
Papers made to reproduce well in copy machines and laser printers.


Yield Value
The actual amount of force needed to start an ink flowing.


No Terms Available

Derby City Litho provides training in several desktop publishing and industry-related applications. Call us today to find out more about what we have to offer for your company's training needs. 502-560-1440